9. The Holy Spirit
God’s personal presence through which he accomplishes His will.
1. THE INDWELLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. Received At Baptism.
1) Acts 2:38 Repent and be baptised, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
2) Galatians 3:26-4:6 God sent forth His spirit into our hearts crying, “Abba Father”.
3) Acts 5:32 The Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him.
B. Necessary For Salvation.
1) Romans 8:9 If any man does not have the spirit he does not belong to Christ.
2) John 3:5 Must be born again of water and the spirit.
3) Titus 3:5 Saved us by the renewing of the Holy Spirit.
C. Transforms Us.
1) 2 Corinthian.3: 18 Transformed into the same image.
2) 2 Tim. I: 7 God has given us his Spirit of power, love and discipline.
3) Gal.5:22-26 The fruit of the Spirit.
D. Seals Us Within Him.
1) Ephesians. I: 13 Sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.
2) Ephesians.4:30 The Holy Spirit in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Every Christian possesses the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
2. THE EMPOWERING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. (HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM).
A. Occurs Twice. Acts 2: 1-4 & Acts 10:44-48.
1) Came suddenly.
2) Foreign languages were spoken.
3) Was promised, not commanded.
4) Fulfiled prophecy.
5) Ushered in the Church. To Jews (Acts 2) & To Gentiles (Acts 10).
6) Not through the laying on of hands.
7) Holy Spirit Baptism - Not essential for salvation. Forgiveness of sins is in the name of Jesus. Acts 2:38, Acts 10:48 & Acts 19:5.
B. Is It Present Today?
1) Acts 2. Written about 33AD.
2) Acts 10. Written about 41AD.
3) Ephesians.4:4-6. Written about 62AD.
a) Now there is only one baptism.
b) Must be the commanded baptism.
4) After Acts 10 (Cornelius) there is no biblical record of Holy Spirit baptism. Obviously Holy Spirit baptism provided a special function vital to the first century church.
3. MIRACULOUS GIFfS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. Passed By The Apostolic Laying On Of Hands. Acts 8:4-18 & Acts 19:6.
B. When The Generation After The Apostles Died So Did The Passing Of The Gifts Of The Holy Spirit.
1) There was no one left to transmit the gift.
2) There is no record of miraculous gifts in the second century.
3) The miraculous gifts confirmed the word of God.
a) Mark 16:20 - “and confirmed the word by the ... “
b) Acts 14: 3 - “bearing witness to the word ... “
c) Hebrews 2:4 - “bearing witness with them ... “
d) Acts 2:22 - “attested to you with miracles ... “
e) John 3:2 - “no one could do these signs ... “
f) John 5:36-39 - “the works I do bear witness ... “
4) Paul prophesied the gifts would pass. 1 Corinthians 13:10 -The miraculous was considered immature in relation to the greatest gift- love. Miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit served a specific need at a specific time - it seems to be the conclusion that those needs are no longer applicable today.
4. MIRACULOUS EVENTS TODAY.
A. God Answers Prayers. James 5:16.
B. Miracles can be of Satan. 2 Thessalonians.2:9-10, Deuteronomy.13:1-5, Matthew. 7:22 & 24:24.
C. Miraculous activity is not necessarily conclusive of salvation. Matthew. 7:22 & Numbers 22:21-28.