To show that there is no such thing as pew sitting Christians, but there are only life changing disciples.
Read the scripture and ask these questions: What is happening here and who is affected? What does this tell me about Jesus? What does this mean to me?
1. ACTS 11:26 - CHRISTIAN OR DISCIPLE?
1) The word Christian appears only 3 times in the New Testament. Disciple appears 263 times in the New Testament.
2) There is no distinction between a Christian and a Disciple. All are called to the same level of commitment.
2. MARK 1: 17 - FOLLOWERS OF JESUS.
Jesus was very clear about the role of those who chose to follow Him. “I will make you fishers of men”.
3. LUKE 19:10 - CHRIST’S MISSION.
Our purpose should be the same as Jesus’ to seek and save the lost.
4. LUKE 14:25-35 - COUNTING THE COST.
1) Disciples must love God more than all else - including self.
2) Disciples must live a sacrificial life to God.
3) Disciples must count the cost, not making an irrational emotional decision, but a calculated choice.
5. JOHN 15:1-8 - STAYING WITH JESUS.
1) We must abide in Jesus.
2) By abiding in Jesus we will bear fruit.
3) We glorify God by bearing fruit.
4) Stay with Jesus.
Response - There is no greater privilege than to be a disciple of Jesus. It demands the highest responsibility, and gives the greatest reward.
3a. The Blessings Of Discipleship
Although discipleship demands the greatest sacrifice and commitment it also produces the most beautiful rewards and blessings.
1. MARK 10:29-32 - OUR BLESSINGS IN CHRIST.
1) Things left behind for the gospel.
2) Magnified a hundred times in this life.
3) We leave our family and friends to become part of a bigger family.
4) We have eternal life.
21. JOHN 14:1-6 - OUR NEW HOME IN HEAVEN.
1) Christ is preparing our new dwelling.
2) It took six days to make the universe.
3) Our new home has taken 2,000 years - think how beautiful it will be!
4) God keeps His promises (remember the rainbow).
3. 1 JOHN 5:13-15 - OUR ASSURANCE OF SALVATION.
1) We can know we’re saved.
2) We can have confidence.
3) He’ll answer our prayers.
4. MATTHEW 7:24-27 - OUR SECURITY NOW.
1) We must act upon God’s word.
2) Our lives and works will not be destroyed.
3) Discipleship although costly will bring more blessings than the hardships we often associate with it.
When I am a disciple of Jesus Christ and have given everything to Him, then no one can steal anything from me, I already surrendered it to God.
No one can hurt me anymore, because I’m dead and buried with Christ - at last I’m truly free.
3b . Marks of Discipleship
Christ has given us special distinguishing features to recognise us as christians.
1. JOHN 8:31-32 - ABIDE IN GOD’S WORD.
1) Take up permanent residence in His word.
2) His word will enlighten you.
3) His word will free you from sin.
4) Make Gods word your home.
2. JOHN 13:34-35 - LOVE ONE ANOTHER.
1) The love of each other is commanded.
2) We must love unselfishly as Christ loved.
3) Our love for one another will be a sign to the world that we are His disciples: (see 1 John 4:7-11).
3. JOHN 15:1-8 - BEAR MUCH FRUIT.
1) God’s will becomes our will.
2) We glorify God by bearing fruit.
3) The fruit of an apple tree is an apple, the fruit of one Christian is another.
4) We prove our discipleship. (Matthew.28: 18-20).
4. JOHN 17:20-21 - BE UNITED.
1) Christians are to be united, as God and Christ are one.
2) Our unity will tell the world that the message of Christ is very real.
Are you maintaining the marks of a true disciple? If not start with God’s natural process, study daily and make a conscious effort to love God and people, then fruit will be born.