8. False Doctrine
To have a biblical answer to some of the common religious errors.
1. THE THIEF ON THE CROSS WASN’T BAPTISED! - LUKE 23:39.
1) Mark 2: 10 - Jesus Christ has power on earth to forgive sins.
2) Hebrews. 9: 15-17 - We live under the new covenant which began with the death of Christ. (Baptism for the forgiveness of sins is a new covenant requirement).
2. WE’RE NOT SAVED BY FAITH ONLY - EPHESIANS 2:8-10.
1) James 2:24 - We are justified by works, not by faith alone.
2) Hebrews. I I: 1-40 - Faith is a verb, it produces action
(What would have happened if Noah had believed God, but hadn’t built the ark?)
3. WE CAN’T PRAY JESUS INTO OUR LIVES - REVELATION 3:20.
1) Rev.3: 14 - Written to the church in Laodicea.
2) Rev.3:20 - Look at the context - The letter is written to Christians asking them to allow Christ back into their hearts.
4. CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD - ROMANS 10:11-13.
1) Acts 2:21 - Calling on the name of the Lord means we decide to obey His will. (Does simply calling the doctor make a sick person well? - no! we must act upon the instructions given to us).
2) Acts 22: 16 - What did calling on the name of the Lord involve for Paul?
5. WE’RE NOT SINNERS FROM BIRTH - ROMANS 5:12.
1) Ezekiel.18:20 - The soul that sins shall die.
2) Ecclesiastes. 7:29 - People are created upright.
3) Matthew.18:4 - We’re to become like little children.
6. ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED - JOHN 10:28.
1) Gal.5:4 - You’ve fallen from grace.
2) Hebrews.2: 1-4 - Pay attention lest we drift away.
3) Hebrews.3: 12 - Don’t fall away from the living God.
4) Hebrews.6:4-6 - Those who have fallen away.
5) 1 Tim. I: 19 - Shipwrecked their faith.
6) 2 Pet.2:21 - It is better not to have been saved, than to be saved and then fall away.
Response - A confident understanding of the errors of traditional religion should accompany this lesson.