1. Supplementary Studies
Read the scripture and ask these questions: What is happening here and who is affected? What does this tell me about Jesus? What does this mean to me?
1c Who stole the body of Jesus
1d Why should I listen to Jesus
1e Jesus the Son of Man (Part 1)
1f Jesus the Son of Man (Part 2)
1h The Crucifixion (A medical perspective)
1a Signs to believe in Jesus
Signs that we might believe that Jesus is the son of God John 20:30-31).
1. JOHN 2:1-11 -JESUS THE MASTER OF QUALITY.
1) Jesus turns water into wine.
2) Our lives should reflect quality in our service to Him.
2. JOHN 4:46-54 - JESUS THE MASTER OF DISTANCE.
1) He cures a diseased son in Capernaum while in Cana of Galilee.
2) Whether we live in Austria or Australia.
3) Jesus can touch your life - right now.
3. JOHN 5:1-9 -JESUS THE MASTER OF TIME.
1) Cures a man who has been sick 38 years at Bethesda.
2) You may be 4 or 64 Jesus can still touch your life.
4. JOHN 6:1-14 -JESUS THE MASTER OF QUANTITY.
1) Feeds the 5,000 at Galilee.
2) The billions of souls in the world are not too great a number for Jesus.
5. JOHN 6:16-21 -JESUS THE MASTER OF NATURE.
1) Walks on the sea of Galilee.
2) We shouldn't be too disturbed by the elements - we know who's in control!
6. JOHN 9:1-7 -JESUS THE MASTER OF MISFORTUNE.
1) Brings sight to a man born blind.
2) Christ is the Lord of all people, no matter what their circumstances.
7. JOHN 11:38-44 -JESUS THE MASTER OVER DEATH.
1) Raises Lazarus from the dead.
2) Because He can raise Lazarus,
3) He'll raise you if you let Him.
Jesus is the master of Quality, Distance, Time, Quantity, Nature, Misfortune and Death itself. Will you decide to make Jesus master of your life?
1b Jesus Compassionate to All
Jesus reached out to all types of people, even to those that we are intimidated by, and consider unreachable.
1. LUKE 4:16-30 - THE BEARER OF GOOD NEWS.
1) Preach the good news to the poor.
2) Proclaim release to the captives.
3) Open the eyes of the blind.
4) Set free the downtrodden.
5) Proclaim the favourable year of the Lord.
2. JOHN 4:1-27 - THE ABSOLUTE IMMORAL PAGAN.
1) Samaritan woman was a social outcast.
2) Jesus disciples were critical of her.
3) Consider the prostitutes, pimps, drop outs & immoral.
3. MARK 5:1-20 - THE DEMON POSSESSED & DRIVEN.
1) Nobody can get along with him.
2) Nobody wants to be around him.
3) Everybody is afraid of him.
4) Consider the drunkards, drug addicts, retarded & insane.
5. LUKE 19:1-10 - THE SELF MOTIVATED ACHIEVERS.
1) Zacheus was rich.
2) Successful at the expense of others.
3) The executive, the millionaire the workaholic.
6. JOHN 3:1-7 - TH E HIGHLY RELIGIOUS.
1) Knowledgeable in God’s word.
2) Prominent in religion.
3) Apollos was converted (Acts 18:24-28.)
4) Consider the holy-rollers denominational preachers, eastern holy men & cult leaders.
Do we see people as prospects for the good news, reaching towards all walks of life with compassion for all the lost.
1c Who Stole the Body of Jesus
There’s an empty tomb in Jerusalem, and at some time in life each one of us is going to have to deal with the question of what happened to the body of Jesus.
1. THE JEWS? - MATIHEW 27:62-66.
When Jesus was arrested His disciples led. Mark 16:14. His disciples had to be convinced that He was resurrected. Why go back and preach in Jerusalem, where the facts could be verfied? Acts 12:2-3. Why didn’t the disciples produce the body when they faced death?
2. THE DISCIPLES? - MARK 14:50.
The Jews knew of Jesus prophecy to be resurrected. It was in the Jewish interest to keep the body of Jesus in the tomb. Acts 5:28. If the Jews did have the body of Jesus why did they not produce it?
3. THE ROMANS? - WHAT INTEREST COULD THEY POSSIBLY HAVE IN THE CORPSE OF AN INSURRECTIONIST.
When Christianity became a threat to Rome why didn’t the Romans produce the corpse?
4. GRAVE ROBBERS? - IN THOSE DAYS ROBBERS BROKE IN TO TOMBS TO STEAL VALUABLES NOT CORPSES.
Body snatching began in the 15th century. How did they get past the Roman guard? Why did they leave the grave clothes?
5. WRONG TOMB? - MATTHEW 27:57-61.
Both Marys’ knew where Jesus was buried. John 20: 1-8. Grave clothes were there.
6. DIDN’T REALLY DIE. COULD SOMEONE BEATEN AND CRUCIFIED ALMOST TO DEATH CONVINCE SO MANY THAT HE WAS VICTORIOUS OVER DEATH?
Mark 16:4. How could a wounded man roll away the stone?
7. WAS IT A GHOST? - I CORINTHIANS 15:1-8.
Could a ghost convince so many individuals that He was victorious over death?
At some time you are going to have to come up with a good answer to the question, "What happened to the body of Jesus?”
1d Why should I listen to Jesus
Why listen to the teachings of a man who has been dead 2,000 years?
1. MARK 9:1-7 - BECAUSE GOD SAID TO LISTEN TO HIM.
When God tells us to pay attention we’d be fools to ignore Him.
2. LUKE 6:46-49 - BECAUSE YOUR HOUSE WILL STAND.
God promises to bless all of our efforts as long as we seek His will.
3. JOHN 12:46-48 - BECAUSE HIS WORD WILL JUDGE US.
God is preparing us in this life. He’s giving us a test - however He’s already given us all the answers, we would be very foolish to go through this life totally unprepared.
4. ACTS 3:22-23 - BECAUSE IF I DON’T LISTEN I’LL BE UTTERLY DESTROYED.
God has done everything to reconcile us to Himself, now if I fail to meet His terms He’ll have no choice but to send me away.
5. ROMANS 10:17 - BECAUSE I’LL DEVELOP FAITH IN GOD AND LEARN TO TRUST HIM.
The more I learn about God, through His word, the more I’ll be able to depend upon Him, and put my life in His capable hands.
6. 1 CORINTHIANS 14:37-38 - BECAUSE THE WHOLE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF THE LORD.
Paul may have signed his name to it, but if it’s in the Bible, it’s inspired by God, and is profitable for life.
Acting upon the teachings of Jesus brings more satisfaction.
1e Jesus the Son of Man (part 1)
Jesus is a complete man: He knows and cares in every situation.
1. MARK 1:32-34 - WHEN WE’RE TIRED, HE CARES.
When its late at night and you’ve had a hard day, and you just want to put your feet up and relax.
2. MARK 1:35 - WHEN WE WANT TO BE ALONE.
When you’ve hardly slept a wink, you just want to spend some time alone and still people are coming to you.
3. MARK 1:40 - WHEN NO ONE WANTS TO KNOW YOU.
When you don’t quite fit in, no one seems to care - Jesus cares.
4. MARK 3:1-6-WHEN BEING REJECTED FOR DOING GOOD.
When the good you do backfires or is misunderstood, you are rebuked when you should be thanked.
5. MARK 5:35-42 - WHEN PEOPLE MAKE FUN OF YOU.
They’ll laugh at you, they laughed at Jesus - but those that belong to Christ will have the last laugh.
6. MARK 6:1-4 - WHEN YOUR FAMILY REJECT YOU.
Often people that are closest to us should be the ones we thought would understand, hurt us the most - Jesus understands.
7. MARK 6:30-32 - WHEN YOU ARE OVERWORKED.
Sometimes we just need to escape from the world for a while. If you let Him, He’ll find you a quiet place.
Jesus is a real man and can understand all of our struggles.
1f Jesus the Son of Man (part 2)
The real man Jesus suffered grievous pains for us.
1. MARK 14:32-35 - WHEN YOU ARE DEEPLY SORROWFUL.
Jesus understands when you despair of life itself.
2. MARK 14:40 - WHEN FRIENDS LET YOU DOWN.
When even your closest friends fail you and let you down.
3. MARK 14:44- WHEN A FRIEND BETRAYS YOU.
Betrayed by a loved & trusted friend. Jesus knows how it feels.
4. MARK 14:50 - WHEN FRIENDS DESERT YOU.
Abandoned by close friends, Jesus knows exactly how it feels, and he never will abandon you.
5. MARK 14:56- WHEN PEOPLE LIE ABOUT YOU.
Jesus was slandered to His face, He knows the pain of someone’s false accusations against you.
6. MARK 14:65 - WHEN PEOPLE MOCK & SPIT AT YOU.
Jesus understands the ultimate insult when someone despises you so much that they spit in your face.
7. MARK 14:71 - WHEN YOUR BEST FRIEND CURSES YOU.
Your very special friend, the one who is so close to you, disowns you. Jesus knows and cares.
‘When my life seems to be impossible to bear - remember Jesus understands because he’s been there.’