Before studying baptism, it’s a good idea to get the person your studying with to WRITE ON A PIECE OF PAPER details of their previous baptism if any. Ask, have you been baptised, when (get a date), how were you baptised and why were you baptised These details will help to clarify the errors in denominational teachings. To show that baptism is essential for our salvation.
I. 1 PETER 3:21 - BAPTISM NOW SAVES YOU!
1) An appeal to God for a good conscience.
2) Through the resurrection of Jesus.
2. ROMANS 6:1-4 - WE’RE BAPTISED INTO CHRIST.
1) New life begins at baptism.
2) Baptism is a sharing in the death, burial & resurrection of Jesus.
3. COLOSSIANS 2:12 - BAPTISM REQUIRES FAITH.
1) Raised up with Him through faith in the working of God.
2) Therefore it is impossible to baptise infants.
4. ACTS 2:38 - BAPTISM IS IN THE NAME OF JESUS.
1) Repentance must precede baptism.
2) Repentance and baptism are essential for salvation.
3) The promise still applies today.
5. ACTS 8:26-39 - BAPTISM REQUIRES WATER.
1) Requires a willingness to study.
2) Must be fully convicted.
6. ACTS 22:3-16 - CALLING ON HIS NAME.
1) Saul was sincere - sincerely wrong.
2) Baptism is necessary even after:
a) Calling Jesus Lord (Acts 22:8-10).
b)Willingness to obey (Acts 22:10-11).
c) Repentance - fasting, praying and thinking (Acts 9:9).
d) A miracle (Acts 22:13).
3) Baptism is urgent.
Response - Baptism is for salvation, it washes away sins. It is for those who believe, repent, have a bad conscience, have faith in God and wish to be born again.